Some things are just better at certain times of the year. They complement the season. They feel right.
| June 1, 2016
JUNE, to me, is the beginning of hotness. And Marilyn Monroe is the epitome of hotness. And Marilyn Monroe was born on the first day of June. Coincidence? I think not.
1. The Good Read – MARILYN: A BIOGRAPHY – by Norman Mailer. “So we think of Marilyn, who was every man’s love affair with America…”
2. The Celebrity Birthday – MARILYN MONROE. “It’s all make believe, isn’t it?”
3. The Place to Be – HOTEL DEL CORONADE in San Diego. It’s the main location for Some Like It Hot. It is June…and it is hot, after all.
4. The Background Music – DIAMONDS ARE A GIRL’S BEST FRIEND by Jule Styne and Leo Robin…from Gentlemen Prefer Blondes…and sung by Marilyn Monroe.“…these rocks won’t lose their shape!” Amen to that.
5. The Comfort Food – ICE CREAM SUNDAE. A sweet, delicious treat with soft curves and melting edges…and whipped cream…and a cherry on top. Perfect after drama class…she said so.
6. The Holiday – NATIONAL KISSING DAY is June 19th. Pucker up!
7. The Libation – THE MARILYN MONROE COCKTAIL. It’s pink and bubbly…and it tickles!
4 oz. (113 ml) champagne
1 oz. (28 ml) apple brandy
1 tsp. (5 ml) grenadine
Serve in a champagne flute with two cherries on a stick. Why two, you ask? Why not?
8. The Art – MARILYN DIPTYCH by Andy Warhol. Warhol found in Monroe a fusion of two of his consistent themes: death and the cult of celebrity. Iconic.
9. The Film – GENTLEMEN PREFER BLONDES directed by Howard Hawkes…so sexy in a bizarrely innocent way.
10. The Wardrobe Necessity – a WHITE SUMMER COCKTAIL DRESS…whoosh…”Ooo, do you feel the breeze from the subway?”…refreshing…for everyone.
JULY is a little lazy, a little hazy, a little playful, a little ahhh…… […]
JUNE, to me, is the beginning of hotness. And Marilyn Monroe is the epitome […]
After a sad, sad month, MAY is finally here! May is the month of flowers […]